Small charity bowl of Burial and Charity Society with dedicatory inscription

Marosvásárhely, Transylvania
1858
Silversmith: Shmuel Philip, active second half of the 19th century
Silver, repoussé and engraved
The Hebrew inscription mentions the name of the silversmith Shmuel Philip, who made and donated the bowl with his wife Hannah to the Burial and Charity Society of Vasarhel (Vásárhely, probably a shortened form of Marosvásárhely); and the Hebrew year
Diam: 12.5 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 5941
Accession number: B50.02.0575;130/026
Also see a matching charity bowl.

עברית

Photo © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Yair Hovav

EnlargeEnlarge