Tower-shaped spicebox with four figures and dedicatory inscription

17th century
Silver, repoussé, pierced, engraved, cast, and partly gilt
A later dedicatory inscription in Hungarian, partially erased: "Gift… on the occasion of the wedding... from Shmuel Altman and his wife…25"
H: 31; W: 9.2 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 757
Accession number: B50.02.1072;124/365
Decorated with four figures in 17th century dress, holding the Havdalah ceremony objects.

From the Israel Museum publications:
Benjamin, Chaya and Koolik, Marilyn Gold, Towers of Spices: The Tower-Shape Tradition in Havdalah Spiceboxes, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Israel, 1982


Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Elie Posner