Print | Close

 

Torah shield with dedicatory inscription adorned with vegetal motifs
Augsburg, Germany
1685
Silversmith: Andreas Meiting (active 1679–1712)
Silver, repoussé, punched, engraved, and partly gilt
The later Hebrew inscription mentions that the shield was donated by Hirsh, son of the late Yakov Moshe, and his wife Yitale, daughter of the late Borech at the Hebrew year 5546 (1786), and the word "Shavuot"
H: 23; W: 26 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 6475
Accession number: B50.02.0220 ; 148/031


Exhibitions:
Provenance Research Online: World War II Looted Cultural Treasures, Israel Museum, Jerusalem

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir


  Print | Close

 

  Israel Museum Exhibition Online | The Israel Museum, Jerusalem | Copyright © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem 1995-