Print | Close

 

Burial Society Torah shield with dedicatory inscription
Augsburg, Germany
1798
Silversmith: Franz Anton Gutwein, Augsburg (active 1759–1805)
Silver, repoussé, engraved, and partly gilt
Hebrew inscriptions: the Ten Commandments; "Donated to the Burial Society of the Holy Community of Haigerloch", and the Hebrew year
H: 43; W: 34 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 177
Accession number: B50.02.0239 ; 148/042


From the Israel Museum publications:
Steinberg, Shlomit, Orphaned Art: Looted Art from the Holocaust in the Israel Museum, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, English / Hebrew

Exhibitions:
Provenance Research Online: World War II Looted Cultural Treasures, Israel Museum, Jerusalem
Orphaned Art: Looted Art from the Holocaust in the Israel Museum, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 18/02/2008 - 23/08/2008

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir


  Print | Close

 

  Israel Museum Exhibition Online | The Israel Museum, Jerusalem | Copyright © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem 1995-