Print | Close

 

Small charity bowl with inscription
Marosvásárhely, Transylvania
1858
Silversmith: Shmuel Philip (active second half of the 19th century)
Silver, repoussé and engraved
The Hebrew inscription mentions that the bowl was made from charity funds under leadership of the [Burial Society?] wardens ("gabbaim") Wolf Chrineuer, Ya'akovka Rubinstein and Yehudah Fisher from Vasarhel (Vásárhely, probably a shortened form of Marosvásárhely); and the Hebrew year
W: 15; Diam: 12.5 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 5940
Accession number: B50.02.0574 ; 130/025

Also see a matching charity bowl.


Exhibitions:
Provenance Research Online: World War II Looted Cultural Treasures, Israel Museum, Jerusalem

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir


  Print | Close

 

  Israel Museum Exhibition Online | The Israel Museum, Jerusalem | Copyright © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem 1995-