The Mantua Haggadah
Printers: The Filipponi brothers, together with the Jewish printer Yosseph ben Yaakov
Letterpress and woodcuts on paper
H: 30; W: 22 cm
Gift of Angelo, Milan
Accession number: B51.05.0304
The Mantua Haggadah was first published in 1560; the version displayed here is from the second edition in 1568. The influence of Italian Renaissance art, to which Italian Jews were exposed, is evident in the depictions of flower bouquets, flying angels, and figures reminiscent of Michelangelo’s paintings.
Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir