Print | Close

 

Dowry items according to the custom of Sephardi Jews in the Ottoman Empire
Turkey
19th–20th centuries
Collection of Eliezer Burstein, Lugano, in the Israel Museum
Gift of Baroness Alix de Rothschild, Paris
Gift of Mathilda Arditi, Barcelona
Purchased through the gift of Baroness Alix de Rothschild, Paris
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Raphael Molho, Jerusalem
Gift of Cora Ginsburg, New York, to American friends of the Israel Museum
Extended loan from Yossi Benyaminoff, New York
Gift of Sarah Tzuriano, Ashdod
Gift of Vida Victoria Valero, Tel Aviv, in memory of her parents, Hanula, daughter of Rabbi Yosef and Mazal Kukya, and Israel Hahamshvili
Gift of Graziela Cohen, Izmir
Gift of Mathilde Turiel, New York, in memory of her husmand, Daniel Turiel, to American Friends of the Israel Museum
Gift of Dorette Gabay, Izmir
Purchase, Jacques Lévy Fund, Barcelona
Purchase, Fritz and Camilla Hollander Foundation, Stockholm
Gift of Grazia Maissa, Milan, in memory of her mother, Ida Aroesti
Accession number: B55.03.0874, B67.0332, B73.1019, B75.0282, B75.0291(a-b), B75.0384(a-b), B75.0385(a-b), B76.0539, B77.1159, B78.0166(a-b), B79.1026, L-B80.0191, B81.0772, B86.0621, B87.0088, B87.0353, B87.0354, B88.0239(a-b), B93.0027, B00.1616, B04.0925, B04.0943, B04.0963, B04.0964, B04.1054, B06.2934

As an essential step towards a wedding, the mother of the bride was responsible for preparing the trousseau - the clothing and household linens her daughter would bring into her marriage. The well known Sephardi saying "The girl is in her diapers and the dowry is already in the chest" reflects the socio-economic function of the trousseau in traditional society. Each item, an expression of the women's creativity and expertise, was fashioned with great care, and the trousseau was often presented in public, to be seen by all.


Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir


  Print | Close

 

  Israel Museum Exhibition Online | The Israel Museum, Jerusalem | Copyright © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem 1995-