Print | Close

 

Mizrah, to be hung on the eastern wall in the house, facing Jerusalem
Poland
1824
Oil paint on glass (Hinterglasmalerei)
Inscribed in Hebrew: "Mizrah" (East); "From this side the breath of life," acronym in Hebrew equals the letters MZRH; "The work of the humble … Shlita Shatz ... (erased)"; "completed on Sunday, the eve of the New Moon, [5]584 [1824]"
H: 35.7; W: 21.9 cm
The Stieglitz Collection was donated to the Museum with the contribution of Erica and Ludwig Jesselson, New York, to American Friends of the Israel Museum
Accession number: B86.0197 ; 169/046


From the Israel Museum publications:
Benjamin, Chaya, The Stieglitz Collection: Masterpieces of Jewish Art, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1987, English / Hebrew

Exhibitions:
The Stieglitz Collection: Masterpieces of Jewish Art, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 30/11/1987 - 21/04/1987

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir


  Print | Close

 

  Israel Museum Exhibition Online | The Israel Museum, Jerusalem | Copyright © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem 1995-