Torah shield with dedicatory inscription adorned with vegetal motifs

Augsburg, Germany
1685
Silversmith: Andreas Meiting (active 1679–1712)
Silver, repoussé, punched, engraved, and partly gilt
The later Hebrew inscription mentions that the shield was donated by Hirsh, son of the late Yakov Moshe, and his wife Yitale, daughter of the late Borech at the Hebrew year 5546 (1786), and the word "Shavuot"
H: 23; W: 26 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 6475
Accession number: B50.02.0220;148/031

עברית

Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Elie Posner

EnlargeEnlarge