Bikur Holim Society Torah shield with dedicatory inscription

Vienna, Austrian Empire
1845
Silver, repoussé, engraved, and partly gilt
The Hebrew inscriptions mention the Ten Commandments; the names of the synagogue wardens ("gabbaim") Israel Hirschfeld and Ber Deutsch who donated the shield; the Hebrew year; and the fact that the shield belonged to the Bikur Holim Society in the Holy Community of Waitze (Vác?)
H: 34; W: 27 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 3609
Accession number: B50.02.0344;148/061

עברית

Photo © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Bchory Frish

EnlargeEnlarge