Burial Society Torah shield with dedicatory inscription

Vienna, Austria-Hungary
1869
Silver, repoussé, punched, engraved, and partly gilt
Hebrew inscription: the Ten Commandments; German and Yiddish inscriptions: the names Sigmund Politzer and his wife Sophie Politzer, née Bing, who donated the shield to the Holy Community and Burial Society of Vasarhelier (Vásárhely, probably a shortened form of Marosvásárhely), and the Hebrew year
H: 30; W: 27 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 3663
Accession number: B50.02.0341;148/057

עברית

Photo © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Bchory Frish

EnlargeEnlarge