Tower-shaped spicebox with four figures and dedicatory inscription
Silver, repoussé, pierced, engraved, cast, and partly gilt
A later dedicatory inscription in Hungarian, partially erased: "Gift… on the occasion of the wedding... from Shmuel Altman and his wife…25"
H: 31; W: 9.2 cm
Received through JRSO (Jewish Restitution Successor Organization)
Wiesbaden collecting point number: 757
Accession number: B50.02.1072
Decorated with four figures in 17th century dress, holding the Havdalah ceremony objects.
From the Israel Museum publications:
Benjamin, Chaya and Koolik, Marilyn Gold, Towers of Spices: The Tower-Shape Tradition in Havdalah Spiceboxes, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Israel, 1982
Provenance Research Online: World War II Looted Cultural Treasures, Israel Museum, Jerusalem
Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir