The Corcos Wrapper (mappah) for Torah
Silk velvet, gilt silver-thread embroidery; silk brocade
The Hebrew inscription relates that the wrapper was donated in 5688 (1727/28) to the Scola Castigliana (a synagogue founded by Jews of Castilian origin) by the brothers Samuel and Isaac Corcos, in memory of their great-grandfather, Hezkiah Manoah Corcos, and their father, Manoah, and dedicated to the lives of their children.
H: 64.5; L: 240 cm
Gift of the Jewish Community of Rome
Accession number: B51.01.0158
In Rome, ceremonial objects were usually part of a lavish set – called addobbamento – that included textiles and silver articles. Some items, often donated by the same family over a long period of time, were personalized with a family crest. An impressive Corcos family crest is embroidered at the center of this Torah wrapper, while smaller crests hang among the mantle’s fringes.
From the Israel Museum publications:
Fishof, Iris, ed., Jewish Art Masterpieces from The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Hugh Lauter Levin Associates, Inc., Southport, CN, 1994, English
Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir